Correct net scheme

C. Diego Raffaelli A. c.diegoraffaelli at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 23:40:29 CET 2009

hi all.

I would like to apply any kind of authentication for VDSL clients. i am a
ISP.

i have a "3com Total control" wich provides dial up access to another users,
and i think i would use PPPOE in the same 3COM to auth. the other users
(VDSL) because they doesn't use a telephone line to connect to my ISP. They
are coming from their home by fiber optic to my central switch.

3COM provides PPPOE on his eth interface.

currently VDSL users have a bandwith managmnt by a router cisco 3640 and
have no any authentication, autorization or accounting.

then, i would like to apply any solution for:

manage properly the bandwith (¿its ok if the router does?)

take PPPOE of 3COM total control (it is a RAS) and (if its necessary),
install a freeradius on debian (with mysql and a web admin interface) to
create profiles to new users...

- i ask: can only the router works as a radius or a RAS and ignore the 3com
RAS?

can anybody suggest me a better net-scheme for this, watching all the
equipement?

thanks a lot

CDR