Overriding proxy response

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Mon Oct 5 11:18:22 CEST 2009

>> And how is user supposed to open that "topup page" if he is looking for
>> Google, for instance?
>
> Instead of Google's IPs your DNS servers would return your web server,
> with
> the "topup page".
>
> What you want *is* a captive portal - it will
>> capture the user and redirect him from the requested page onto the one
>> you
>> want him to see.
>>

> I didn't say I agree with the DNS scheme.
> I do agree that a captive portal is the best solution.
> I was simply mentioning that it is not always possible.

It is possible - that's what you are making. DNS scheme is not going to
work. All user has to do to defeat that is to change the assigned DNS
servers - and he can surf the net. You need a proper captive portal where
user can't simply change DNS info and/or assigned IP and escape.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP