Adding vendor specific attributes to dictionary

Patric patricrt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:59:10 CEST 2009

Hi all :)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction once again!

freeradius v 2.1.3

I am attempting to add vendor specific attributes to my dictionary
without success :(

I was given the following information to add:

Class       Number  Attribute           Value  Type
VENDORATTR  12345   Vendor-Attribute-A  1      string
VENDORATTR  12345   Vendor-Attribute-A  2      string

Now since VENDORATTR is not a freeradius dictionary format I assume this
comes from a different RADIUS server, which I need to now implement in
my freeradius dicitonary.

I have had a look at the dictionary man page, and see that one can use
ATTRIBUTE for this, but since the Number is the same for both attributes
I would assume that I need to define a vendor  specific  attribute
encapsulation so that I can list multiple attributes for this vendor,
but this does not seem to be working for me - This is what I have done:

File dictionary:
----------------

$INCLUDE        /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary
$INCLUDE        /etc/raddb/dictionary.myvendor

File dictionary.myvendor:
-------------------------

VENDOR       MyVendor     12345
BEGIN-VENDOR MyVendor
    ATTRIBUTE Vendor-Attribute-A 1 string
    ATTRIBUTE Vendor-Attribute-B 2 string
END-VENDOR   MyVendor

When I attempt to start my freeradius server with this dictionary file
all I get is the following message to std out:

Errors reading dictionary: dict_init: /etc/raddb/dictionary.myvendor[1]:
dict_init: /etc/raddb/dictionary.myvendor[1]: dict_init: /etc/

Thats it - even in debug mode no other message is printed.

Any pointers would as always be very much appreciated :)

Many thanks and have a great Friday,
Patric