Proxy/Realm problem in 2.1.7

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Oct 9 22:26:14 CEST 2009

Alan Buxey wrote:
> there does seem to be an issue with 2.1.7 - I've had a couple
> of reports stating that the proxy doesnt seem to 'stick' to one
> remote proxy during EAP (eg with client-balance or client-ip-balance
> methods). not sure what has changed since 2.1.6 - but a rollback to 2.1.6
> with exactly the same configuration works....

  2.1.7 is more aggressive about failing requests from one server to
another when a home server goes down.  See "no_response_fail" in proxy.conf.

  It's also more aggressive about *not* using zombie servers.  It treats
zombie servers as dead for new requests.  i.e. it will retransmit the
*same* request to a zombie server, but a *new* request will ignore the
zombie server.

  That change was really made for stability.  If a home server isn't
responding, we shouldn't really be sending it new packets.  Yes, this
might break EAP.  But if the home server isn't responding, it's not
doing EAP already, right?