Error: Received conflicting packet

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 17:46:31 CEST 2009

Hi,

> finishing a request in my auth/acct Perl scripts, meaning each request
> would take at least 1 second to process, freeradius shouldn't care! It

okay...you have a daemon listening on port 1812 ... how many threads
or radiusd processes are you running - because , for example, if you have
20 then once you get 100 requests, only the first 20 can be answered..
because all threads are stuck with your 1 second delay... thats 80 requests
lost on the wire. those will be sent again.....then you need to deal with the
ones already being dealt with.

if you put anything into the way that will slow down the ability to answer
queries, then it will mess things up for you. if your PERL is the problem,
then increase number of threads/children so you can handle more.... we have 64
listeners on our system that uses live PERL for dealing with requests...otherwise
there were not enough listeners. ...if its accounting thats getting in the way
(slow DB insert/updates) then move accounting out of the way - use the buffered-sql
virtual server to deal with them 'out of band'.

my systems can deal with hundreds of access requests per second...and are
literally flooded by that many accounting-requests per second all
day long. we are a cisco shop (and plenty of people on this list
have had to deal with cisco wierdnesses in the world of RADIUS - there are
workarounds all over the place for things they do wrong) and our solution
didnt 'just work' overnight - because of loading issues, because of
tweaks needed - we have FreeRADIUS because we could do these things to get
around NAS limitations, NAS bugs and people NOT respecting the RFCs

I'd rather have a server that DID follow the RFCs than one made by the
vendor who chose to break the RFCs in their products int he first place.

alan