Error: Received conflicting packet

Tim Sylvester tim.sylvester at networkradius.com
Mon Oct 12 18:42:47 CEST 2009

Rihad,

> >   Take your NAS, and throw it in the garbage.  Buy a real NAS that
> > implements RADIUS.
> >
> Oh yeah? Isn't Cisco 7260 good enough for you?

Hmmm ... A few months ago I was working on a project with a Cisco 72XX
terminating PPoE connections from DSL modems. I was using custom SQL code
during the authentication process. When the PPoE sessions were reset on the
Cisco 72XX to test a power failure, there was a problem authenticating the
PPoE sessions. Once I cleaned up the SQL code to improve its performance,
the authentication problems went away. FreeRADIUS, MySQL with custom SQL
code and the Cisco 72XX were able to authenticate over 14,000 PPoE sessions
in 30 seconds. We also had a problem with broken DSL modems that
continuously resent authentication requests with bad credentials.

Based on my experience with the above project and many other projects, FR
can process 1,000s of authenticate requests per second and performance
problems tend be fixed by improving the performance of custom code,
optimizing a database schema and/or tuning the database.

You are welcome to tweak the FR server but based on the experience of many
people running really big networks, that will not solve the problem.

If you provide more information about your network and what you are trying
to accomplish, people on the list can help you. Provide the following:

- Perl script
- Description of your network and what you are trying to accomplish with the
PERL script
- Copy of your configuration file

The more information the better.

Tim