FreeRadius is 3 time quicker when running in full debug mode ( -X option)

Vincent Laborie vlaborie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:54:03 CEST 2009

Dear Freeradius User list,

I am surprised by the fact that freeRadius (Version 2.0.4) is 3 time quicker
when running in full debug mode ( -X option).

When running freeradius I full debug mode
/usr/sbin/freeradius –X
 I have good response time from remote client were between 200 and 210 ms.

But  when I launched freeradius without debugging (with exact same
configuration):
/usr/sbin/freeradius
Or /etc/init.d/freeradius start
the response time increase to 600ms

It is usually the opposite where turning off debugging should increase
response speed .
Does any body have an explanation?
Or any clue to improve performance on non debug Mode ?

Thanks in advance for your support.
Vincent