Configuration for md5 not working

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Sep 17 10:26:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

> I have everything configured for md5 authentication so that I do not need to
> use either server or client-side certificates. I have my access points
> configured in /etc/raddb/clients.conf and my users configured in
> /etc/raddb/users
>

> My access point is set to WPA Enterprise security using a RADIUS server.

cool. last time i checked you couldnt use MD5 as a method for wireless 802.1X
- there are only certain EAP types that can be used - PEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS
etc being some of them. MD5 is fine for wired because - ha ha - wired 802.1X
is a bit of a joke really - all it does is authenticate you, there is no
link layer encryption going on - unlike WPA Enterprise wireless - which all gets
encapsulated in an EAP tunnel - hence you need specific types of EAP for wifi

..all you need to do to get this working is set the RADIUS server up to have a
certificate signed by a known (ie in windows, MACOSX  and linux) CA and use
PEAP on your clients

alan