Start Freeradius at boot

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 18:34:26 CEST 2009

hi,

note sure why you are reversing the email conversation tags,
however

you installed from source

so, in the source directory (where you ran ./configure) there is a
redhat directory. in that directory is an rc. file - that needs to be copied
into the /etc/init.d

eg cp rc.whatever /etc/init.d/radiusd

then use the appropriate tool to ensure this starts by default
(I use chkconfig - from the old school) but Fedora does have
system admin tools to ensure that daemons start up when the system starts
up - i know..i've had to use their tool just once or twice. since I cant
use such tools att he end of a 14.4 baud dual up to a comms centre across
the pond, i use SSH with eg chkconfig extensively)

you'll want to then check everything is A OKAY by eg

service radiusd start

service radiusd status

service rediusd restart

the first thing will test it can be started with the script. as i said before
the script was written some time back and some directories might not exist
and some permissions might be wrong! if the script fails or 'status' test fails then
check the /var/log/radius/radiusd.log to see maybe reasons why.

once its all running fine, then the service will restart fine upon reboot. even
if the system is a VMWare instance on a Max OSX server - doesnt matter what its on,
the basics will always be the same with that distro.

alan