No Auth in Debian Lenny

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Apr 17 08:51:22 CEST 2010

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>   I've followed the various howtos to no avail.

  Read http://freeradius.org/doc/

  Most of those how-to's are wrong.

>  Currently running 2.1.8 from
> Debian Lenny Backports it says "No authenticate method (Auth-Type)
> configuration found for the request: Rejecting the user".  It is showing the
> username as "NTDOMAIN\\username".

  Post the debug log, as suggested in the FAQ, README, INSTALL, "man"
page, and daily on this list.

  Honestly, there's no excuse for not doing that.

>  On 2.0.4 it was having trouble parsing the
> realm from the address, but I can't find where realm strings are configured
> in the current version, and it's not saying anything about the realm in the
> debug.

  How about "grep"?  Or read the debug output.  Look for the word "realm".

$ grep realm raddb/*

> I do get a session debug, which makes me think the problem is not with the
> client config but with the freeradius server.

  I have no idea what that means.

> Debian has split the configuration for mppe into a file in the modules
> directory, and I have enabled mppe there.

  That has nothing to do with realms.