variable expansions in Reply-Message

Isidor Zeuner radius at quidecco.de
Mon Apr 19 05:33:12 CEST 2010

Thanks, Tim,

> > when using FreeRADIUS 1.1, I could store RADIUS replies like
> > Reply-Message := "Hello, %u", and get the %u expanded to the username
> > in the reply. After upgrading to FreeRADIUS 2.1, this doesn't seem
> > to work anymore, the reply contains the unexpanded %u. Has this
> > feature been removed, or do I have to configure it explicitly?
>
> Isidor,
>
> Check the man page for unlang -- man unlang -- for current details on
> strings and variables.
>
> For User-Name, try: > Reply-Message := "Hello, %{User-Name}"

I also tried %{User-Name}, but it made no difference.

The problem with the unlang manpage is that it doesn't make it
very clear _when_ the expansions are processed. Variables are
definitely expanded before the SQL server receives queries, as the
query templates use variables. I get the impression that the
expansions are not processed anymore on the SQL results.

Best regards,

Isidor