variable expansions in Reply-Message

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 19 09:04:02 CEST 2010

Isidor Zeuner wrote:
> The problem with the unlang manpage is that it doesn't make it
> very clear _when_ the expansions are processed.

  The expansion gets processed when the attribute is processed.  It
can't be earlier, because the attribute doesn't exist.  It can't be
later, because then the *later* expansions wouldn't work.

  i.e.  Foo = "%{User-Name}"
	Bar = "%{Foo}".

  What's "Bar"?  It's not %{User-Name}.

> Variables are
> definitely expanded before the SQL server receives queries, as the
> query templates use variables. I get the impression that the
> expansions are not processed anymore on the SQL results.

  I don't see why.  That part of the code hasn't changed for a long time.