Dynamic Vlan assigment 802.1x with cisco

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Apr 22 13:52:21 CEST 2010

Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > steve Cleartext-Password := "testing" Service-Type = Framed-User,
>> > Tunnel-Type = VLAN, Tunnel-Medium-Type = IEEE-802,
>> > Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = 2
>> >
>> I have no idea why people keep insisting on doing this, but make
>> 'Tunnel-Private-Group-ID' the VLAN *name*.   You are only going to end
>> up killing yourself later on if you insist on using VLAN ID's.
>
> because their kit will only work with VLAN assignment being numbers and
> not names?  ;-)

The old Aironet 1130/1200's AP's needed numbers I remember but I am
pretty sure that an IOS update fixed that.

However, now with our infernal WLC4400 and the C3750's we have I am
using names and have been for three years.  My counterpart in some
multinational is on their 29[56]0's and I am pretty sure three/four
years ago when started playing with 802.1X the 2950 I was playing with
did permit the use of names.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Neckties strangle clear thinking.