Setting up pam_radius_auth

Mike J sleeper0110 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:22:32 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>wrote:

> Mike J wrote:
> > It is a PPC module. However, since I was having problems with it I
> > decided to install the PAM module for my x86 workstation (from the
> > Ubuntu Hardy repository).  I'm getting the same results. The
> > client/server talk to each other but the password doesn't seem to be
> > decrypted when the auth request gets to the server.
>
>   Then the shared secret is wrong.  The debug log shows this.
>
>  Go fix the shared secret.

I've already checked the shared secret. Even though the log message says the
shared secret is probably wrong, it isn't.
I've fixed the x86 module (was using a wrong client config file). So I have
x86 working but don't have the ppc module working.

> > I've also double checked how I was building the PPC PAM module. I'm
> > using the provided makefile and setting up the compiler and linker to
> > use the proper ppc build tools. Any ideas of where I could be going
> > wrong when compiling it?
>
>   Endian issues.  It's buried in the source...

Is this likely the cause of my issue?

> > By the way, this is the entry in the top of my "users" file on my RADIUS
> > server:
> > testing Cleartext-Password := password
> >
> > Is the "Cleartext-Password" option okay with for authenticating PAM
> clients?
>
>   Yes.  The RADIUS server looks at the contents of the packet, *not* the
> source code of the client.

Thanks for clarifying that.