Flaky AP or borked Config? EAP-PEAP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Aug 19 21:55:38 CEST 2010

Nolan King wrote:
> This is the manufacturer of the "broken AP"
> http://skypilot.trilliantinc.com/
>
> Skypilot was an indie manufacturer, recently purchased by trilliant. not sure who makes their hardware now- the tdm, one radio-many antennas approach has worked well for my muni mesh. they used to have a forum where i whined about the lack of EAP-TLS support to no avail, i think the forum is dead since the trilliant purchase.
>
> wireless security, 802.1x mentioned in these docs:
> http://skypilot.trilliantinc.com/pdf/wp_WirelessSecurity.pdf
> http://skypilot.trilliantinc.com/pdf/ds_SkyExtenderPlus.pdf
>
> only mention i could find specifically excluding EAP-TLS method is here, on page 25:
> http://skypilot.trilliantinc.com/support/documents/SkyAccess_DualBand_Installation_Guide.pdf

  It takes a special kind of dedication to make PEAP work, but to break
EAP-TLS.  i.e. you have to write *extra* code in the AP to look for
EAP-TLS.  Then, you have to do something different from PEAP.

  If the AP manufacturer instead supported EAP (*any* kind), then PEAP
would work.  TTLS would work.  TLS would work.  EAP-FAST would work.

  I've seen RADIUS servers that do this kind of thing (Merit).  It's
good for everyone that no one uses those products any more.