FreeRADIUS exiting with Signal 11 on FreeBSD

Danial dol at ft.fo
Wed Dec 22 11:13:43 CET 2010

Hugh Blandford wrote:

> I have been running a network monitoring program on my server, that
> tracks cpu load, free memory.  None of these have moved out of spec.
>
> Load average on the machine hit a high of 0.012.

This is similar to what I've monitored.

> Daniel, one of your emails suggests that you have two servers.  One that
> seems OK and the other that gives the Signal 11 problem.  Do they both
> run the same version of FreeBSD?  Are there differences in the
> scheduling or SMP options in the kernel?  What other differences are
> there between these two machines?

I do have two servers, but they are quite different.
This problematic one is running FreeBSD 8.1 on a VMWare ESX 4 system.
I've checked with our vmware admin and there's little load on the whole
vmware system.
The second, which is running just fine, is freeradius-1.1.6 on OpenBSD 4.1.
It's also on a VMWare platform, although a different one.

One more thing I'd like to add is that I don't believe I experienced these
exiting problems when I was running an older version of FreeBSD. I think
it started when I upgraded from 6.x to 7.x - and still continues after
reaching 8.1.

/ Danial