Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 29

Chillifire contact at chillifire.net
Wed Jul 14 05:04:02 CEST 2010

Hi Alan,

Thank you for this response. I accept of course that garbage in garbage out,
bad data is nothing the Radius can fix.

However, I thought this through and when I make the following assumptions:

- Freeradius has different SQL statements stored in its configuration for
radacct update and insert;

- It is Freeradius ' responsibility to decide whether to peform an insert or
update; and

- AcctSessionId and AcctUniqueId are unique identifiers for one session;
there should be only exactly one record for each AcctSessionId and
AcctUniqueId;

Then there is still something amiss with the Freeradius updates of radacct.
Even if erroneously session updates are sent in duplicate or with same or
differing information, Freeradius should not insert a new record for an
existing AcctSessionId and AcctUniqueId. Based on the above assumptions
double entries for AcctSessionId and AcctUniqueId should never occur in
radacct. Freeradius' insert/update logic should prevent that. However,
multiple entries (anything between 2 and 17 in about 1% of all cases) is
what we see in my extracts.

Any thoughts?

Hanno