Grouping similar users to profiles

Natr Brazell natrbrazell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:24:53 CEST 2010

I am looking for information on grouping users into profiles/groups.  I've
searched around the FAQ's and docs but not finding a clear picture.  I've
found how to associate a user with a group of NAS's.
.
Here's the scenario.  There is a specfic VSA from Juniper called
Juniper-Local-User-Name.  This gets mapped to a locally defined profile on
the NAS.  In the users file I have the following:

bob.smith   Juniper-Local-User-Name = "tier3",

mary.jane  Juniper-Local-User-Name = "tier3",

bobby.sue  Juniper-Local-User-Name = "tier3",

Furthermore there is other VSA's such as the Juniper-Allow-Commands and
Juniper-Deny-Commands.  So I can do things like:

billy.bob    Juniper-Local-User-Name = "tier2",
                Juniper-Deny-Commands "(show system alarms)|(show system
software)"

john.doe  Juniper-Local-User-Name = "tier2",
                Juniper-Deny-Commands "(show system alarms)|(show system
software)"

So to the point, rather than defining each user with the same parameters
every time, can I create a group, for instance TIER3, and associate
User-Name's above to the group.  And if so how or point me to some specific
examples.

I am using LDAP also so if there is an LDAP solution same question.  Howto?