Change of logging behaviour in 2.1.9

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jun 17 18:28:39 CEST 2010

Jakob Hirsch <jh at plonk.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Alan DeKok, 2010-05-24 12:28:
>>   * re-open log file after HUP.  Closes bug #63.
>
> Since the update to 2.1.9 a new log file is _only_ opened on HUP. Is
> this behaviour intended?
> Previously we just let logrotate rename the old logfile and freeradius
> created a new radius.log. I'm aware that it is not very efficient to do
> open/write/close all the time, but it just worked [tm].
>
> Is the only possibility to reopen the log file now to send HUP to the
> server? I don't feel very comfortable with this. The server reloads the
> config, modules and whatnot. I think this is not something that one
> wants to do in a daily, unattended process. Isn't there any other, less
> intrusive method to tell freeradius to reopen the log file? (besides a
> restart, of course)

FWIW we have been HUPing the server from a daily, unattended process
with FR 2.1.8 since it was released (we need it to rotate log files
written by a private accounting module we are using). The server will
only reload the modules that are explicitly marked as OK with that.  And
it all works very well.

Bjørn