LDAP, old TCP connections, and retry

Justin Steward althalus87 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:29:07 CET 2010

Hi Alan,

>  I fail to understand why people do this.  Firewall two critical
> components, and then *increase* failure by having the FW break TCP
> connections.

Unfortunately I don't get to decide what the network looks like, I
just have to find a way to work with what I'm given.

>> How can I force an idle timeout on LDAP connections in FR?
>
>  Change the source code in rlm_ldap.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Although I was more or less expecting it.

>> Question 2:
>>>From the information I have been given, it appears that if the
>> connection times out, LDAP does not attempt to retry.
>>
>> Is there a way to force FR to make 1 or 2 attempts at retrying the
>> connection before giving up on LDAP?
>
>  Change the source code.
>
>> The current situation is causing many headaches trying to log in, and
>> the client is reluctant to relax their firewall for a number of
>> reasons.
>
>  <shrug>  They chose to destroy their own network.  I'm not surprised
> they're hesitant to fix it.
I think the main problem is their firewall vendor thinks that's the
right way to do it.

Anyway, thanks for your response. I'll see what I can do with the source.

Kind Regards,
Justin Steward