R: Re: R: Re: R: rlm_ippool: No available ip addresses in pool

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 4 23:04:43 CEST 2010

Tabacchiera Stefano wrote:
> Great idea! Too bad that tool allow only to cleal *all* the entries in
> the DBM pool.
>
> Or am I just missing something?

  <shrug>  Then write a Perl script to manage the pool.  It's just a DBM
file.

>>  Or, get your NAS to send accounting stop packets.  It's *supposed* to
>>send stop packets when a user session is cleared.
>
> As I already said, I know the NAS sometimes doesn't send acct-stop pkts,
> but it's out of my control.

  Well... your NAS is broken.  There's little we can do to fix that.

> My questions (still unanswered, let me say) are:
>

> 1) is maximum_timeout useless?

  No idea.  I don't use that module.

> 2) Is there a way to keep my dbm pool safe and updated (I mean
> no expired addresses), even in the case some acct-stop pkt are loss?

  No.

> 3) Should I switch to sql pool, 'cause dbm it's actually unreliable?

  You should switch to the sqlippool module.  It uses SQL features to
automatically clear old entries, even if the NAS is broken.

  This isn't about an "unreliable" DBM file.  The DBM file is reliable.
 It's your *NAS* that is broken.

  The additional features of SQL (which are missing in DBM) makes it
easier for FreeRADIUS to work around a broken NAS.