RADDB 2.1.7 and /etc/shadow

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri May 28 00:36:56 CEST 2010

On 05/27/2010 04:51 PM, sbchem wrote:

>>>   <shrug>   It's an error produces (sic) by the PAM subsystem.  Ask them
> what it means.
>
> <Sigh>  It turns out the error is caused by a typo in the radiusd file
> provided in /redhat/radiusd-pam, NOT by the pam subsystem.  In fact, the pam
> subsystem was merely reporting the error in the freeradius file.  The
> message "module not found" was because the radiusd-pam file was pointing to
> password.so NOT passwd.so

Glad you got it working and sorry for the frustration.

Unfortunately the files in /redhat had serious bit rot and had not been
maintained for a long time. When you want Red Hat specific files or
RPM's it's really best to get them from us because we maintain them. The
/etc/pam.d/radiusd is supplied in our freeradius RPM and isn't the same
as was found in the freeradius tarball as you unfortunately discovered.

FWIW, we just synced our files to /redhat directory in the freeradius
2.1.9 release. So for 2.1.9 they will be pretty close. But they will
*diverge*. Why? Because in this instance that does not represent
"upstream" (i.e. the definitive source), we are "upstream" for our own
files.

I have certain misgivings about upstream projects providing packaging
files for their project because they inevitably diverge and have bit
rot. I realize it's perceived to be friendly to supply packaging files
in the upstream distribution, but it comes with a price (divergence &
bugs). Getting packaging files from the source (i.e. the specific Linux
distribution) isn't that hard and would avoid some of these issues. By
the way all this is documented in the FreeRADIUS wiki at
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

Just my 2 cents ...

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>