link FR 2.1.10 with openssl 1.0.0a

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 12:39:10 CET 2010

Hello everyone,

                  I am running ubuntu 10.04 that comes with openssl 0.9.8k.
I wanted to upgrade openssl to 1.0.0a, but I have to do this manually as my
OS does not have openssl 1.0.0a in its repository. So I downloaded, build
and installed openssl 1.0.0a from source to /usr/local/ssl and I recompiled
FR 2.1.10 with the -with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl/ option.

Everything seems to went well, but how can I be 100% sure that that FR is
properly linked and using libraries from my manual openssl installation and
is not using ubuntu's one?

Unfortunately, if I run openssl version in bash I get 0.9.8k which is
ubuntu's version and my /usr/lib/libcrypto and libssl links point to
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 and libssl.so.0.9.8 respectively. I don't mind if ubuntu
is using 0.9.8k openssl (although a cleaner solution would have been nicer)
but I do want FR to be using openssl 1.0.0a.

How can I achieve that?

Thanks in advance,

Panos