configure output summary

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Nov 17 07:53:02 CET 2010

  Hi,

when running configure, lots of somewhat important messages scroll by,
like "silently disabling something you need" :-)

An untrained eye may miss these easily, leading to confusion afterwards
(I'm currently running a lecture on RADIUS, and pretty much all of my
students took their time figuring out that they need openssl-devel for
PEAP to work etc.).

I think it would generally make sense to put a summary output of
configure at the end of its run, so that one can easily see which
modules will be disabled.

In an acute case of bash script fiddling, I created the attached proof
of concept "test.sh" script, which recursively goes through all
config.log files and

a) greps all lines with WARNING
b) greps all lines with "silently not building"

and puts these out in massaged human-readable form. Would something like
this have any chances of getting included into the tarball? It could run
as the very last thing in configure...

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--