FreeRADIUS 2.1.10 regression in logging behaviour

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 23:39:33 CET 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 21:08 +0000, Alan Buxey wrote:
> hi,
>
> one eagle-eyed member spotted a small issue with our systems after the upgrade to 2.1.10
> (which, frankly I'd overlooked because to me its more important that people can actually
> authenticate and we've got good accounting etc :-) )
>
> anyway, its this.
>
> the standard radius.log file which records a few items of interest is no longer logrotated
> correctly....ie logrotate comes along, the file gets a new number/name and a new file
> is created for radiusd to keep using...except it doesnt. in the end you end up with eg
>
> radius.log.5
> radius.log.4
> radius.log.3
> radius.log.2
> radius.log.1
> radius.log
>

> where all the newer ones are zero bytes and radius.log.5 is several meg in size
>
> the sudden obvious fix is to add the HUP/restart part to the logrotate script but
> we've never ever had to do this in the past...and I'm loathe to do such a thing...

In our log rotation (on CentOS) we use:

        prerotate
                /sbin/service radiusd stop >/dev/null
        endscript
        postrotate
                /sbin/service radiusd start >/dev/null
        endscript

This occurs at around 4am. We have not had any problems with it.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001