Echo Effect Help

Deepak d88pak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:41:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

I don't know how to explain this problem. Sounds completely crazy.

I have a freeRADIUS 2.1.7 (in CentOS 5.5) setup with MySQL backend to
be used with dd-wrt chilli. I have tested in three separate line
exchanging the location of radius and chilli but in particular line I
found out that radius is behaving abnormally, which I called Echo
Effect.

When radius is put in that particular line, it doesn't respond to the
request from chilli on one particular line of the other two lines. For
Example: If radius is in Line 1, it processes the request from Line 2
but completely ignores from Line 3. By line I mean three separate DSL
lines.

If NAS is put inside the same subnet and authenticated locally,
'radacct' table  gets about 20+ entries for single account login. Also
noticed in debug mode that it is updating accounting information every
second, while account intermin interval is set for every minute. After
sometime 'radacct' table gets empty and doesn't get updated even if
users are still logged in. To check that phenomenon, I left it on with
about 10 users logged in. After sometime it crashed. This kind of
repetition happens only in that line (with local authentication) but
not on other lines.

Same experiments done with radius on other two lines does not show any
of these symptoms.

1. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of problem before?
2. Regarding the ignoring of request from particular line, does radius
have some kind of self defense mechanism by blocking IP? Where to look
for the clue?
3. What can trigger account update every second and multiple entry in 'radacct'?

Regards
Deepak