Can FreeRadius connect to ACT! database?

Jim Rice jmrice6640 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 01:14:15 CEST 2011

Hi Gary,

Low volume.  Since these are the SM's, they will stay connected once booted.
The only time an SQL query would be needed is when something gets added or
changed.
A handful per day.

That's why it isn't really worth trying to duplicate the entire database and
maintain two copies.
On the other hand, do I really want Radius to depend on ACT! as a single
point of failure?

A more robust solution would be to have a couple radius servers,
and a couple database engines on the back end that are in sync for possible
failover.
There is only one ACT! box.

By putting what I need into the Radius system (linux boxen), if ACT! should
fail, Radius won't.
It might not be getting any updates, but it won't bring down the entire
network.

I've come full circle here.  I think I need to spend some time with ACT! and
convince it to
trigger an update in the MySQL database (and reboot the SM to force a new
access-request).

Just not sure what I will need on the FreeRadius side, if any.
It might just be only between ACT! and MySQL.