Running FreeRadius daemon in debug mode

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Apr 17 18:01:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I'm running the latest yum version of freeradius2 on a 32bit CentOS 5.5 install.
>
> I'm using "service radius start" to launch the daemon.  I'm trying to figure out how to use the service method to launch the process in debug mode.  I can start it in debug mode when calling it from the command line just fine.
>
> I thought it might be as simple as modifying the radiusd script file in /init.d with the -x switch, but that causes errors.  Does anyone have a working copy of the init.d script I could look at?

best practice would say dont run the standard service in full debug mode - instead,
stop the standard service and manually run the service 'radiusd -X' - use 'script', 'screen'
at al to help you out with capturing the information you seek.

standard RHEL/CentOS practice is that arguments are put into the relevant
file in /etc/sysconfig/ directory - look in there, see the radiusd/freeradius
file and add the -X option to it if you really really want to run the standard
service in such a mode

alan