Dynamic Clients and ldap threads?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Aug 15 05:05:35 CEST 2011

Peter Lambrechtsen wrote:
> Even though we have ldap_connections_number = 50 in the modules/ldap we
> have issues with the dynamic clients.  We can increase the number higher
> but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

  Or, you can do fewer queries.

> Each element sends a heartbeat packet to FR once a second to make sure
> it's still alive which we capture very early on in the authorize second
> and send a reject.

  That's a REALLY bad idea.  See RFC 2865 for why keep-alives are
harmful.  See RFC 5997 for a better approach.

> Is the newer versions of FreeRadius use the multiple connections of ldap
> in a more efficient way so that the client lookups work more effectively.

  No.

> Our dynamic clients config is:
>
> server dynamic_client_server {
>   authorize {
>     if
> ("%{ldap:ldap:///ou=Elements,o=Identities?ou?sub?cn=%{Packet-Src-IP-Address}}")

  This can be cached in a temporary variable:

	update control {
		Tmp-String-0 = "%{ldap:....}"
	}

	if (Tmp-String-0 != "") {
		update control {
			FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname = "%{control:Tmp-String-0}"

  The changes it from three LDAP lookup to one.

> Is the dynamic clients ldap lookups only single threaded, or have I done
> something incorrect with the configuration?

  The dynamic client lookups are single threaded.  Changing that is hard.