Dynamic Clients and ldap threads?

Peter Lambrechtsen plambrechtsen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 06:01:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>wrote:

> > Each element sends a heartbeat packet to FR once a second to make sure
> > it's still alive which we capture very early on in the authorize second
> > and send a reject.
>
>   That's a REALLY bad idea.  See RFC 2865 for why keep-alives are
> harmful.  See RFC 5997 for a better approach.

No arguments here with that... I'll have a read through the RFC's and
escalate to our hardware vendor.. But I don't like my chances :(

> > Our dynamic clients config is:
> >
> > server dynamic_client_server {
> >   authorize {
> >     if
> >
> ("%{ldap:ldap:///ou=Elements,o=Identities?ou?sub?cn=%{Packet-Src-IP-Address}}")
>

>  This can be cached in a temporary variable:
>
>        update control {
>                Tmp-String-0 = "%{ldap:....}"
>        }
>
>        if (Tmp-String-0 != "") {
>                update control {
>                        FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname =
> "%{control:Tmp-String-0}"
>                }
>        }
>
> The changes it from three LDAP lookup to one.

Cheers for that, I need to query two attributes from the object, one for the
shared secret and the other for the client shortname.  So I could reduce it
from 3 to 2 queries.  rlm_ldap doesn't seem to support multi-valued
attributes as per http://wiki.freeradius.org/Rlm_ldap
I could store both valued in a single attribute then used a # or something
as a delimiter then I could use a regex to split the string... Might look
into that.

>  > Is the dynamic clients ldap lookups only single threaded, or have I done
> > something incorrect with the configuration?
>
>   The dynamic client lookups are single threaded.  Changing that is hard.

Yup.. I thought so... :(

Is there any limit on the file size of the clients.conf and how many
entries? or it will just take as long as it will take and get re-read each
time I HUP the server.

Many thanks for your insightful answers Alan :)

Cheers

Peter