Cant Start Radius Server MAC OSX (snow leopard)

DavidS fifeeliz1 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:04:25 CEST 2011

I really appreciate your thoughts - it seems to me whatever I am admin or
root this surely cant be a normal output for debugging.

Does it seem likely that you would have to activate a root user level on a
mac to run a Radius server?

Have others had to do that that you know of?

Without root I think I may have made some progress. What I was trying to do
was add the following to the file "users"

user1		Cleartext-Password := “password”
	Service-Type = NAS-Prompt-User,
	cisco-avpair = “webvpn:user-vpn-group=SLRgroup1”

Afterwards the Radius logs shows
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error: /private/etc/raddb/users[221]: Parse error
(reply) for entry user1: Expected end of line or comma
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error: Errors reading /private/etc/raddb/users
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error: /private/etc/raddb/modules/files[7]:
Instantiation failed for module "files"
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error:
/private/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel[111]: Failed to find module
"files".
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error:
/private/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel[34]: Errors parsing authorize
section.
Sun Aug 14 23:46:52 2011 : Error: Errors initializing modules

And debuging shows
server10:~ admin$ radiusd -X
FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.3, for host i386-apple-darwin10.0, built on Apr 11
2011 at 17:19:07
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /private/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
Unable to open file "/private/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf": Permission denied
Errors reading /private/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
server10:~ admin$

If i take the entry I made out of the users file, the log files show NO
errors (the last log line after starting the radius server is)
Sun Aug 14 17:48:29 2011 : Info: Ready to process requests.

BUT With OR Without my entry to "users" debugging shows the same output (as
above)

Please help

Thanks

PS for the mac users who need it in terminal window type:
sudo passwd root
Enter Password: <existing admin pw>
Changing password for root
New password:  <whatever root pw you want>
Verify password:  <whatever root pw you want>
NOTE Setting the root password also enables root login at the same time. I
recommend you don't use the root account unless you have to.
When I put it back in the  Radius logs show