AP and user IP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 30 13:32:38 CEST 2011

Gabriele Cardosi wrote:
> I created a testing user and set up the client "secret", and I am able
> to connect the device (a mobile phone) to the access point
> authenticating it with the freeradius, but in the log what I see is the
> client's (i.e. the access point) IP, the clients (AP) mac, and the
> device mac. Is it possible to have the device ip sent (and stored)
> somehow to the freeradius? I read something about ip pool, but I have
> the impression that it can't be used in this setting.

  For wireless connections, the device doesn't *have* an IP until after
it's authenticated.  The IP might show up in an accounting packet.  Or
it might not.  See the documentation on the WiFi access point.

  If the IP doesn't show up in an accounting packet, then you need to
use something other than RADIUS to find out the IP.