FreeRADIUS + Cygwin + Active Directory authentication?

Moe, John jmoe at hatch.com.au
Thu Feb 10 06:36:12 CET 2011

I'm trying to set up a FreeRADIUS server in our organization, and the
corporate preference is to run on Windows.  I've got FreeRADIUS to compile
and have successfully completed the PAP test (from
http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/pap.html) to make sure it
works.  Now I'm looking to set up Active Directory authentication.  To do
that, all the documentation I've read is geared towards Linux servers
running Samba.  From what I gather, it uses the ntlm_auth program to
authenticate to the Windows Active Directory, which returns "NT_KEY output,
which is needed in order for FreeRADIUS to perform MS-CHAP authentication."

Is there a way I can do this on a Windows/Cygwin server?  I tried to get
Samba to compile and install to test if it'd work on a Windows server, but
it needed Kerberos to talk to AD, and Kerberos didn't seem to want to
compile without shared libraries, which apparently Cygwin doesn't support.
Does anyone know any other programs that can be used to provide this
authentication mechanism, that also run on Windows?  Or do I need to do this
on a Linux server?

I've tried to Google for the answers to this without luck.  Any help or
pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

John H. Moe
Network Support - Hatch IT
HATCH
Tel: +61 (7) 3166 7777
Direct: +61 (7) 3166 7684
Fax: +61 (7) 3368 3754
Mobile: +61 438 772 425
61 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, Queensland Australia 4011

NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice (collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the message from your computer.