Hash username or mac address to assign user to different vlan

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 17:55:01 CET 2011

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

>> How do you deal with excessive broadcast protocols?
>
> We do nothing. We used to be very worried about this, but in practice
> we've found it's a non-existent problem. The world isn't
> 10Mbit/half-duplex ethernet any more ;o)

...it supposedly nukes the ability for workstations to do power saving
(broadcast packets are always processed kernel land) and as
broadcast/multicast is limited to the lowest common denominator speed
for wireless network's, it can have a pained effect (no doubt most
places are still set at 1Mbps).

500 Windows workstations on my local LAN would annoy my NO_HZ laptop :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Your present plans will be successful.