Parse error after Freeradius Migration (Ascend binary attribute)

tobias.gruenewald tobias.gruenewald at rga.net
Tue Jan 25 17:08:05 CET 2011

Alan Buxey wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> # cat /var/log/freeradius/radius.log
>> Error: users.smart[11]: Parse error (reply) for entry user: failed to
>> parse
>> Ascend binary attribute: failed to parse Ascend binary attribute:
>>
>> # cat users.smart
>> user   User-Password := "password"
>
> I probably wont be the first person to tell you that this line should be
>
> user   Cleartext-Password := "password"
>
>>         Ascend-Data-Filter = "ip in drop udp dstport = 9",
>>         Ascend-Data-Filter = "generic in forward 0 0 0"
>
> the error is related to one/both of these binary entries.
>

> the dictinary file has pretty good docs: read "dictionary.ascend"
>
> perhaps you havent got the dictionary included?  if you've stripped the
> 2.x config
> or just dumped the 1.x config into place things just wont work
>
> alan
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Thank you for the quick reply. Didn't know about the
Cleartext-Password/User-Password, after reading a little, I think we will
change our configuration file export accordingly.

I checked about the dictionaries, all default dictionary files are included,
including dictionary.ascend.

The error is generated by the last line in the example (the generic filter),
I confirmed this by swapping/deleting lines.

I didn't just take all existing files from our 1.x installation and copied
them over. In fact I started with the 2.x example configuration, including
VirtualHosts and all the split files, and modified it to use our existing
export files for the user configuration.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Tobias