Problem with rml_sqlcounter with GigaByte datavolume

Hanno Schupp hanno.schupp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:24:32 CEST 2011

Thank you for this reply.

I thought the limitation might come from the wrapping around 4.3 GB due to
the limitations of a 32bit system with 2147483648 being the highest signed
and 4294967296 being the highest unsigned number. 1705032704 is then exactly
the difference to 6GB, after the system wrapped at 4.29GB. I requite the
log:

Sat Jun  4 23:10:21 2011 : Debug: rlm_sqlcounter: Rejected user lapzel14,
check_item=1705032704, counter=2147513300

Exactly the 1705032704 one would expect based on highest 32bit unsigned
integer.

Now here is my problem: Why does it wrap at 32Bit, if the system is a x64
server? Does not make a lot of sense to me.

Also, the FAQ is containing instructions how to deal with gigawords in terms
of the sql statements that handel the calculation of the counter value. And
as this is implemented, the counter value is not the problem here - it is
the check_item value that as I understand is based on my configuration,
taken straight out of the radcheck table.

I am sorry, but this sounds like a limitation/bug of the standard system,
that could be overcome. After all, if it can be resolved with custom perl
code as I understand you suggest, why should the standard system not be able
to handle data limits larger than 4.29GB out of the box?

Or am I missing something?

Alan, can you enlighten us on this issue?

Regards

Hanno