./configure/make in subdir?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 30 16:59:46 CEST 2011

Phil Mayers wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to persuade ./configure to work from
> within subdirs? I keep flipping back and forth between master and v2.1.x
> and it would be nice to be able to re-use builds without having to have
> two git repos & associated hassles.

  I just use two git repos.  Changes are pushed/pulled between them.

> make install

  What's that?  :)

  if you're doing development, just do:

$ make
$ ./src/main/radiusd -Xd ./raddb -n debug

  You can run the server from the source tree without installing it.

> ...but this seems to fail on (the accursed!) libltdl subdir "configure"
> which is apparently jumping back up into the top-level source directory.
> I suspect it would similarly fail on the module configure scripts too.

  Quite likely, yes.

  The simpler solution is just don't ever install it.