./configure/make in subdir?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 30 19:40:05 CEST 2011

On 30/06/11 15:59, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Phil Mayers wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to persuade ./configure to work from
>> within subdirs? I keep flipping back and forth between master and v2.1.x
>> and it would be nice to be able to re-use builds without having to have
>> two git repos&  associated hassles.
>
>    I just use two git repos.  Changes are pushed/pulled between them.

That was more or less what I was hoping to avoid; I find that "remotes"
in git has a bit of an impedance mismatch with my brain. I should
probably just buckle down and write a shell script to do it!

>> make install
>
>    What's that?  :)
>
>    if you're doing development, just do:
>
> $ make
> $ ./src/main/radiusd -Xd ./raddb -n debug
>
>    You can run the server from the source tree without installing it.

"Hilariously" I spent a whole hour the other day trying to figure out why:

./libtool --mode=execute gdb src/main/radiusd -d ~/frmaster/etc/raddb

...ended up giving me "source file is newer than...". Of course, it was
because my config was reading the old modules off disk. *slaps forehead*

>    The simpler solution is just don't ever install it.

Given the above, it's probably safer too!