Load Balancing FreeRADIUS with CLUSTERIP

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 19:57:13 CET 2011

Randy Wilson <randyedwilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience of load balancing two or more FreeRADIUS
> servers using the iptables CLUSTERIP target?
>
> [snipped]
>
> I have some production SMTP and FTP clusters that are load balanced in a
> similar way, with Pacemaker handling the failover, that have been running
> quite well for over a year.

We anycast our FreeRADIUS servers and have had great success with this.

http://www.digriz.org.uk/ha-ospf-anycast

No single points of failure to fail as the resilence is in your routers,
if those fail you have bigger problems :)

Cheers

[1] also we do this for unbound (DNS resolver), squid (HTTP proxy) and
	syslog-ng

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Fine day for friends.