Error: User-Name is not the same as MS-CHAP name

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun May 8 12:18:08 CEST 2011

On 05/07/2011 07:50 PM, Robert Mc Cready wrote:
> The "MS-CHAP-Use-NTLM-Auth := no"  did the job but I still have one
> problem with Windows XP clients, I get a " [mschap] ERROR: User-Name
> (CAD08862\ldapuser) is not the same as MS-CHAP Name (ldapuser) from
> EAP-MSCHAPv2". Users log on locally, the host name is not a domain name.
> Windows 7 clients work fine because they send only the username. I do
> some rewrites so I can get the username for the LDAP authentication and
> the computers name for computer account authentication (I'm not familiar
> with unlang yet). We use FR 2.1.10.
>
> Any idea how to fix this ?

You CANNOT rewrite the User-Name attribute, or you will have this problem.

If you want to manipulate the username, you must do so in a separate
attribute, like so:

    update request {
      Stripped-User-Name := "%{2}"

An easier alternative is to not mangle the username at all, and instead
update any string expansions to use:

  %{mschap:User-Name}

...including your LDAP filters. This will "just work"