Error: User-Name is not the same as MS-CHAP name

Robert Mc Cready robert-mccready at cspi.qc.ca
Mon May 9 20:14:21 CEST 2011

I do not rewrite the User-name attribute I rewrite only the
Stripped-User-Name attribute with these:

attr_rewrite copy.user-name {
                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
                new_attribute = yes
                searchfor = ""
                searchin = packet
                replacewith = "%{User-Name}"
        }

attr_rewrite remove-domain-name {
                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
                searchfor = "(\.nw2\.test\.local)"
                searchin = packet
                new_attribute = no
                replacewith = ""
        }

attr_rewrite add-dollar-sign {
                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
                searchfor = "^(host/.*)"
                searchin = packet
                new_attribute = no
                replacewith = "%{1}$"
        }

attr_rewrite strip-realm-name {
                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
                new_attribute = no
                searchin = packet
                searchfor = "^(.*[\\/]+)"
                replacewith = ""
                max_matches = 1
        }

This is where I use Stripped-User-Name:

freeradius:/etc/raddb # grep -ir Stripped-User-Name * | grep -v \#
modules/attr_rewrite:                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
modules/attr_rewrite:                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
modules/attr_rewrite:                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
modules/attr_rewrite:                attribute = Stripped-User-Name
modules/ldap:   filter = "(uid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}})"

The User-Name attribute is untouch.

[mschap] ERROR: User-Name (CAD08862\ldapuser) is not the same as MS-CHAP
Name (ldapuser) from EAP-MSCHAPv2

As I mentionned before the host name (CAD08862) is not a domain name it's a
computer account name.

I tried with_ntdomain_hack, no luck.

freeradius:/etc/raddb # grep -ir with_ntdomain_hack * | grep -v \#
modules/preprocess:     with_ntdomain_hack = no
modules/mschap: with_ntdomain_hack = yes

Windows XP debug:  http://www.cspi.qc.ca/sinfrmc/windowsxp.htm

Windows 7 debug:     http://www.cspi.qc.ca/sinfrmc/windows7.htm

On 05/07/2011 07:50 PM, Robert Mc Cready wrote:
> The "MS-CHAP-Use-NTLM-Auth := no"  did the job but I still have one
> problem with Windows XP clients, I get a " [mschap] ERROR: User-Name
> (CAD08862\ldapuser) is not the same as MS-CHAP Name (ldapuser) from
> EAP-MSCHAPv2". Users log on locally, the host name is not a domain name.
> Windows 7 clients work fine because they send only the username. I do
> some rewrites so I can get the username for the LDAP authentication and
> the computers name for computer account authentication (I'm not familiar
> with unlang yet). We use FR 2.1.10.
>
> Any idea how to fix this ?

You CANNOT rewrite the User-Name attribute, or you will have this problem.

If you want to manipulate the username, you must do so in a separate
attribute, like so:

  if (User-Name =~ /^(.+)\\(.+)/) {
    update request {
      Stripped-User-Name := "%{2}"

An easier alternative is to not mangle the username at all, and instead
update any string expansions to use:

  %{mschap:User-Name}

...including your LDAP filters. This will "just work"
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base
des signatures de virus 6106 (20110509) __________

Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base
des signatures de virus 6107 (20110509) __________