Authentication issues from Apple devices

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 14 10:54:27 CEST 2011

> Found Auth-Type = CHAP
> +- entering group CHAP {...}
> [chap] login attempt by "sandra" with CHAP password
> [chap] Using clear text password "sandra" for user sandra authentication.
> [chap] Password check failed
> ++[chap] returns reject

Nothing very dramatic here - the chap-challange is wrong, almost
certainly meaning the user entered the wrong password.

Now, since "the user" in this case is you testing, I guess it might be
something else, but I'm not sure what. First thing - check and re-check
that you're entering the password correctly, and something tedious like
autocorrect isn't munging it!

How do clients log into the hotspot - is it via web intercept/redirect
and an HTML form? Can you switch to HTTP (rather than HTTPS) and run a
packet capture to see if the password coming from the client is good?