Authentication issues from Apple devices

stentofon richard.adams at stentofon.com.au
Sat May 14 11:08:01 CEST 2011

The users connect through a chillispot captive portal, via HTTP.  HTTPS
causes too many problems with certificates, and the access point is
unencripted anyway, so security is not the issue.

I initally thought that the hotspot clients were simply making mistakes, but
i've been testing it all day with the iphone v blackberry and Windows 7 and
i'm fairly certain the password is going in ok.  I set the username and
password to be sandra : sandra for simplicity, as the autocorrect should
leave it alone.  I also set up an account as 1234 : 1234 and this also
failed only on the iphone.

For it to only affect Apple products, i had hoped that the debug message was
going to show some rubbish in the username to prove that there was some
issue with the input, but i can't see the issue when the debug message is
confirming that the correct username and password were supplied.