How to set up wireless-network-connections using WPA/WPA2 enterprise authentication?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 16:16:50 CET 2011

On 11/18/2011 03:02 AM, Ajay Garg wrote:
> *a. That I continue to need the two-jack-wire, so as to provide a
> network-communication medium between the router, and the Freeradius
> server (which is running on my F14-laptop).

The access point needs a network connection for two primary purposes, 1)
to provide network access to the wireless client connected to it, 2) to
connect to a radius server for authentication purposes. The access
point's network connection is typically provided via wired ethernet, so
yes you need this.

> b. To actually test connecting to the network via wireless interface, I
> need to somehow be able to have two connections simultaneously (one
> which I already have of the wired connection).
>
> Assuming part a. is true, how can b. be accomplished?*
>
> I am using NetworkManager as the backend, and nm-applet as the frontend,
> to manage connections.

NetworkManager allows you to have multiple interfaces (i.e. network
connections). If you open the NM applet you'll see both wired (for f-15
and higher it's labeled "wired", for f-14 and lower it's probably
labeled eth0) and wireless connections. If you've got a wired
connections (because you've plugged your ethernet cable into your
ethernet port) and you want wireless as well all you have to do is open
the NM applet and locate the wireless access point you want to connect
to and connect (possibly needing to configure some connection parameters
for that ap). It's pretty straight forward.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/