Best Practices - maximum NAS entries in clients.conf

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Sep 12 21:41:48 CEST 2011

> Last I heard, you could NOT dynamically add NASs without restarting clients.conf as NAS entries are only read once on startup.  Has this changed?

Yes, FreeRADIUS will now load clients dynamically from clients or from a database, or an LDAP directory, or off a 5 1/4 floppy, a usb key shaped like a humping dog, or just about any other storage medium.

> Even if this has not changed, the advantages of storing NASs in a table is pretty significant.  make changes, call quick restart script, done.

Well it has changed. In fact it changed in 08/09. It's now, add client to SQL database, wait client to send packet, wooo client automagically added. You can even remove them using the radiusd control socket without restarting the server.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Waging war on ignorance and apathy one Access-Challenge at a time.