Best Practices - maximum NAS entries in clients.conf

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Tue Sep 13 01:35:50 CEST 2011

On 9/12/2011 12:41, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> Last I heard, you could NOT dynamically add NASs without restarting clients.conf as NAS entries are only read once on startup.  Has this changed?
> Yes, FreeRADIUS will now load clients dynamically from clients or from a database, or an LDAP directory, or off a 5 1/4 floppy, a usb key shaped like a humping dog, or just about any other storage medium.
>
>> Even if this has not changed, the advantages of storing NASs in a table is pretty significant.  make changes, call quick restart script, done.
> Well it has changed. In fact it changed in 08/09. It's now, add client to SQL database, wait client to send packet, wooo client automagically added. You can even remove them using the radiusd control socket without restarting the server.
>
> -Arran
>
> Arran Cudbard-Bell
> a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
>
> RADIUS - Waging war on ignorance and apathy one Access-Challenge at a time.
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
I'm very glad to hear about these changes, and may be implementing them
in the near future (note to alan DeKok: I'm not the OP.  I only
responded to this recently.)
Also, I own the USB key shaped like a humping dog.  It doesn't have any
storage space and is just a decorative humping dog for your computer.
Unless they've made a new version since I purchased mine.