Quick enable/disable user account.

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Sep 14 15:28:09 CEST 2011

On 14 Sep 2011, at 14:26, rauch.holger at googlemail.com wrote:

> Hi Arran,
>
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> No. It's SQL,
>
> I didn't question it's SQL, I just said that knowing
> SQL all by itself is not enough.

Run the server with no modules, what type of packet does it return?

Run the server with the PAP module enabled and a clean SQL schema what does it return?

With that, a knowledge of SQL, and the location of the config file you have everything you need to know.

Did any of that require a list post? No..

Posting to the list is not an alternative to RTFM or RTFW (in this case).

>> you can alter the query so that it only returns 'enabled' users.
>
> If you talk about altering queries, you assume that someone also has
> knowledge about the data model (table and column names, in particular).

rlm_sql doesn't care about column names, it just deals with indexes. The SQL used to get the values for those indexes is completely arbitrary, and implementation specific.

>> It has nothing to do with FreeRADIUS,
>
> Are you saying that table and column names are the same *in every* SQL-based
> RADIUS implementation? (I doubt that tables and columns share the same names
> accross different RADIUS implementations).

rlm_sql doesn't care about column names, it just deals with indexes. The SQL used to get the values for those indexes is completely arbitrary, and implementation specific.

>> [...]
>> The point of the list is to help users who are stuck with a particular question or concept. Not for those who are too lazy to try and figure things out themselves.
>
> How do you really *know* the OP was "too lazy"? Maybe the documentation
> wasn't understood (but in this case the OP could have mentioned that in his
> post). IMHO, the OP made one big mistake: not pointing out clearly his own
> effort. On the other hand, it's also not right to infer that someone is too
> lazy just because he hasn't mentioned whether he has tried anything by
> himself.

I'm not going to waste my time debating this with you. The phrasing the OP used was completely inappropriate for a volunteer based support list, end of story.

I have nothing against the OP, in fact if you'd checked, you'd see that i've answered a number of his other questions... So why you felt the need to step in and intervene is beyond me.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org

RADIUS - Waging war on ignorance and apathy one Access-Challenge at a time.