802.1x Issue

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 18:31:11 CET 2012

Hi,

>    So would you recommend ? Your opinion above looks like you wouldnt do
>    that, since it may not work. Kinda complicated, since we are an
>    university, and need to work with everyone.

we are a university and we avoid using any extra programs/utils to perform such duties
(especially as the OSes now have 802.1X support natively.  we were involved in the
OpenSEA alliance a while back and helped evolve the open1x tool but until theres a
must-have and compelling reason to go for such a tool (eg perhaps integrated single
sign-on with applications via moonshot) then take the basic default OS 802.1X where
you can. I believe that SecureW2 was popular in many european countries for eduroam
but that has receeded too (and older pre-licence change version is what is used)

alan