802.1x Issue

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Dec 3 20:35:37 CET 2012

On 3 Dec 2012, at 17:31, Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>   So would you recommend ? Your opinion above looks like you wouldnt do
>>   that, since it may not work. Kinda complicated, since we are an
>>   university, and need to work with everyone.
>
> we are a university and we avoid using any extra programs/utils to perform such duties
> (especially as the OSes now have 802.1X support natively.  we were involved in the
> OpenSEA alliance a while back and helped evolve the open1x tool but until theres a
> must-have and compelling reason to go for such a tool (eg perhaps integrated single
> sign-on with applications via moonshot) then take the basic default OS 802.1X where
> you can. I believe that SecureW2 was popular in many european countries for eduroam
> but that has receeded too (and older pre-licence change version is what is used)

That's not to say using a disolvable configuration tool to configure the native supplicant is a bad thing, just that using 3rd party supplicants never seems to work as well as it should. Given enough students you'll find one with wireless drivers that SecureW2 or Open1x refuses to play nicely with.

Most times you will be able to get the native supplicant working given enough prodding, but prodding on a large scale is unfeasable without some kind of automated tool, because students are really really bad at following instructions.

What ever happened to Open1X anyway, last update in 2011, is it pretty much dead now?

-Arran