EAP

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 16:54:33 CET 2012

Hi,
>    I wanted to ping the Eduroam people about EAP over WAN links.  Are there
>    considerations that can cause connectivity issues that I should be
>    examining?

depends on how fast your authentication backend is and what your NAS timers are set to.

if your backend takes around 1 second to auth and your NAS has a 2s timeout, then the
EAP roundtrip time etc could cause that to fail.... if you have yoru NAS set to eg 5s RADIUS
timeout instead then things should be okay... in eduroam we deal with/prpxy EAP authentications
from the other side of the world...sites with too low timers on the NAS kit or with slow
backend authentication soon find the problems.

alan

PS I know of a couple of APs that sit on the end of remote ISP links and can happily do EAP
authentication remotely proxied by a tier of RADIUS servers